Kiesling House (1861)
The Kiesling House is one of the three downtown buildings in New Ulm to survive the Dakota War of 1862. Frederick W. Kiesling, blacksmith and ferrier, had built the modest frame house ($125) the year before the outbreak of the war. In August of 1862 New Ulm defenders marked the Kiesling House for torching in the event that the Dakota attack broke through the downtown barriers. The downtown defenses held even though the city lost about 75% of the buildings to fire.
In 1970 the family-owned residence was purchased for preservation and donated to the City of New Ulm by Dr/Mrs T.R. Fritsche, Mr/Mrs T.H. Schonlau, and Mr/Mrs Henry Somsen. Restoration monies came from donations as well as state and federal grants. Set in a small park-like square, the Kiesling House is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places (1972). For five years it housed the offices of the New Ulm Area Chamber of Commerce, and presently is home to the Council for the Arts New Ulm (CANU).